Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day

I was turned on to a simple act by my girlfriend, Kat. When she takes her dog for a walk, she would usually pick up one piece of litter from the sidewalk or gutter in her neighborhood. I was impressed and started to try it. I was even more impressed about how good it made me feel. I was noticeably making my environment less trashy instead of walking by and saying; "How sad that people have such disrespect for the neighborhood!" So, now it is a habit when I walk the dog and has even extended to the beach. Kat has said on occasions that she means to bring a plastic bag so she can pick up even more litter when we go for a walk on the beach. Sometimes we are in luck and the people who litter have been thoughtful enough to leave a bag for just such a purpose. It does make me feel good and not in a smug sense that I am better than those who left behind the litter in the first place, but we have been complimented by people on the beach by our actions of cleaning up a little. Just because I did not throw garbage on the ground does not mean I can't do anything about it. Of course, I don't pick everything up I see and I don't go picking up nasty, gross things. I guess I am above that.

No comments:

Post a Comment